Did you know that “dead” mold can still produce spores?
A common misconception that you may have heard is that dead mold is harmless; this is simply not true. The truth is that dried out mold isn’t actually dead, instead it is lying dormant. Mold requires moisture, warmth, food and oxygen to grow and thrive. When these items are removed from the environment the mold will dry out and go into a state that similar to hibernation. While it is true that the dried mold is no longer growing or spreading, if it is exposed to any of the components that are necessary for its survival, it can quickly reactivate and start spreading again.
The EPA has discovered that “dead” mold can still produce spores and is just as dangerous to humans as mold that is alive. This “dead” or dormant mold can still cause allergic reactions as well as other health problems. Symptoms caused my mold can range from unpleasant allergic reactions to serious and sometimes life-threatening illnesses. Some of these symptoms include things like skin rashes, runny nose, itchy eyes, irritates throat or lungs, headaches, fevers, asthma attacks and more. Some people can show no symptoms at all but can still be affected by long term exposure. It has been found that 25% of the population has a genetic predisposition to mold illness known as Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS). Because of this, the EPA recommends that mold is not only “killed” but removed completely.
Majority of mold specialists perform inspections and set up tests that measure the level of mold presence in your home or on a specific surface. These tests do not differentiate between live and dormant mold spores since it has been found that they are equally harmful. This is why killing mold and leaving behind the residue is simply unacceptable.
There is not such thing as a “quick fix” for mold contaminated conditions. Though some companies claim their products kill mold, stop mold, or have a magic solution, their products often are ineffective and leave behind mold residue that still leaves you and your family at risk.
The best thing to do is call a mold removal specialist. These professionals have the proper safety gear and training to ensure the job is done correctly. It is easy to accidentally spread mold spores to other parts of your home or make yourself sick by trying to do it yourself or if it is not done correctly. Mold specialists call the removal of mold “remediation” (defined as the action of remedying something, in particular of reversing or stopping environmental damage).
Mold remediation specialists use personal protective equipment (like full body suites and facemasks), purpose-built dehumidifiers, air purifiers, and other tools that will isolate and destroy the mold. Hiring a professional will ensure that the job is done correctly and that your family is safe from any mold related health problems.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!